Friday, July 15, 2011

Legacy Midnight Run 10K

I was lucky to get into this race. My coach, Lora has just posted online that the registration was almost full with only a couple of spots for the 10k left.  I think my husband and I got the last couple of slots.  This race was unlike any race I'd done or heard of.  It was done at night along the Legacy Parkway.  The half marathoners started at 10 PM, 10kers at 11 PM and 5kers at 11:30, all with the goal of beating the midnight hour.  They gave you glow stick of various sizes to attached to your body while you run the race.  The trail lit up like a rave party as all the runners started the race. I was determined to beat by previous time of 52 minutes and get on the podium.

The first 3 miles went great. I felt good and was running at a pace that would get me to my goal.  At the half-way turnaround point I took some Gatorade and kept my pace. Shortly after that point though I started to feel terrible.  I've never felt that bad during a race before.  I kept running determined not to walk.  Thoughts flashed through my mind... "This is definitely going to be your last 10k race... This is awful.... never running like this again...".  Lots of people passed me.  I finished with a time of 54:27. Two and a half minutes slower than my last 10k. I ended up getting 4th place in my age group again for the 3rd time! Cameron managed to capture 3rd place in his age group. I was disappointed in myself. I started wondering if my first 10k time of 52 minutes was just a fluke.

The next day I read a post from some of my pals from the South Davis Road Runners that said they got sick during the race.  Come to find out everyone that took the Gatorade at that one aide station got sick. I didn't feel so bad for not making my goal.  Even with getting sick it was still so much fun to run at night under a full moon, my body covered in glow sticks.



South Davis Road Runners

No comments:

Post a Comment