Saturday, September 17, 2011

Save Your Skin 10K

This is the second race this year that was hosted by my coach Lora Erickson.  For more info visit saveyourskin10k.com

The course was the same as the Race for Grief 10K.  I was eager to see how my time would be a few months after the previous race there. We left the house with plenty of time to get there early but the railroad crossings had another thing planned. We got stuck behind a crossing with the arms down for over 20 minutes. No trains passed. We kept driving further and further south and all the crossing were the same.  We eventually found our way to the event with just minutes to spare before the start time.  We had just enough time to pick up our packets, put on our bib numbers and start. 

I ran this race with my husband and my friend Holly.  Holly and I teach sunbeams together at church and we became running buddies.  I kept a steady pace until the half way point and then slowed down after that. I was still about a mile out when I realized I might be able to make it under 50 minutes.  I pushed myself and finished with a time of 50:25.  I'd trimmed off 1:35 off since the last time I'd run that exact same course. I was very pleased.  I managed to match my husband's Race for Grief time down to the exact second.  Cameron decided he'd be a speed demon and get the time of 45:40 this time around. He placed 1st in his age group. I thought I'd placed 2nd in my age group until they announced that I'd actually gotten 1st in my age group.  The girl who originally got 1st place in my age group ended up getting 1st place overall female which bumped me up. Hooray! I got 4th female overall.  Great race!


Holly and me

No comments:

Post a Comment